Author Topic: Get setup with a PeerCoin wallet  (Read 37213 times)

Offline FuzzyBear

• Forum Operator
  • Administrator
  • No life but Peercoin!!
  • Referrals: 14
    • View Profile
    • Escrow PPC trades 1% fee
Get setup with a PeerCoin wallet
« on: March 19, 2013, 01:55:51 pm »
Edit: Saturday 4th May 2013
Very good guide written here http://cryptocurrencynews.wordpress.com/2013/04/19/getting-started-with-ppcoin/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alternatively:
Downloads
Windows - http://sourceforge.net/projects/ppcoin/files/
Linux - http://sourceforge.net/projects/ppcoin/files/
Mac OSX - v0.3.0 test builds (Jeff Larkin)

PPcoin-Qt.dmg (10.9 MB)
https://mega.co.nz/#!gQwxGTJC!B6D6f1RWbFRBTp-4U0KYYAmAfzEz-myKVzyIPEppHfk
MD5 (PPcoin-Qt.dmg) = 295a2a0f6d1dc845bc9dbd029c48e0d0

ppcoind.zip (2.0 MB)
https://mega.co.nz/#!FIxTlSgR!DsFrWTqrQNA1NRIOwqbTT3ngTTEiLlDdeT5_zoDui-A
MD5 (ppcoind.zip) = a886c561352abbb273982e93c8df0356

(Warning of unsigned executables is normal)

Source Code - https://github.com/ppcoin/ppcoin

Current Latest version of PPCoin is 0.3, latest release notes here:

February 18, 2013, 11:07:21 PM
Official release build is now available http://www.peercoin.net/ (via sourceforge)

What's in 0.3.0 release:

Stake generation protocol upgrade (protocol switch March 20th)
Qt UI support
Fix compatibility with vanitygen (note: private keys dumped in v0.2 is no longer importable into v0.3.0, must dump again from v0.3.0 client)
Miscellaneous bug fixes and improvements

The protocol upgrade in 0.3.0 includes a new algorithm to derive proof-of-stake hash modifier, the entity that scrambles computation for stake owners, which replaces the current proof-of-stake difficulty used as modifier in 0.2 protocol. The design was started late September last year, when I first began to realize the issues with using difficulty as modifier. Honorary mention also goes to Jutarul, who independently discovered and verified an issue with using difficulty as modifier and published on bitcointalk in December last year, while successfully executed a demo attack on the block chain. Other changes in the protocol include starting hash weight from 0 at the 30-day mininum age, and requirement that coinstake timestamp must equal block timestamp. Overall 0.3 protocol should significantly strengthen the proof-of-stake protection and resolve the current known vulnerabilities.

Upgrade instructions:

Upgrade is required before Wednesday March 20th. Nodes that have not upgraded before this deadline will disconnect from the main ppcoin network (hard fork).

To upgrade:
1) Before upgrade, you must first backup your wallet:
ppcoind backupwallet <destination_backup_wallet_name>
2) Note down your balance/stake/newmint amounts. Shutdown ppcoin
ppcoind stop
3) Inside your wallet directory, remove all files and subdirectories except for leaving wallet.dat and ppcoin.conf in place.
4) Download 0.3.0 and unpack/install.
5) Start up ppcoind/ppcoin-qt normally.
6) Use getinfo/about to confirm your ppcoind/ppcoin-qt version is now 'v0.3.0ppc-beta'
7) You should see block chain is being downloaded again. Please note during redownload of block chain your balance will be shown initially as 0 and change as block chain is being downloaded. This is expected. When block chain download completes your balance/stake/newmint should return to the same value before the upgrade.

My sincere appreciation to co-contributors of 0.3.0 release:

Robert VanHazinga of Hartland PC (dreamwatcher) for the vanitygen compatibility fix
Jutarul for demonstrating stake generation vulnerability
EskimoBob for reporting issue fixed in 0.3.0

Cheers and have fun!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 02:51:01 pm by FuzzyBear »
BTC: 1FvMYwtkrQakoL8Zq1GjfKqTkm2a7TKt6N  |
PPC: PDtcFPhMa9Hc9zTfoRG7zcURCRpcpRdMym
PPC Escrow 1% fee

Offline FuzzyBear

• Forum Operator
  • Administrator
  • No life but Peercoin!!
    • View Profile
Re: Get setup with a PPCoin wallet
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 02:01:18 pm »
BUT HOW DO I SETUP PEERCOIN FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!! I hear u cry :) follow these instructions...

Welcome to PPCoins!!! Lets start by walking through the set-up instructions for the current 0.3 PPCoind.exe wallet.

**************NOTE******************
PPCoin-Qt build is included in this latest PPCoin release

Original PPcoin wallet Installation

I have installed this successfully on a Win 7 x64bit OS, but feel free to post questions on other OS... if there are big important areas to discuss I can move and create a new topic for discussion

1) "Download ppcoin-0.3.0-win32-setup.exe (2.7 MB)" source files from here... http://sourceforge.net/projects/ppcoin/files/

2) Install the files and wallet on ur pc using the wizard step by step instructions...

3) Once that done, click the start menu in windows taskbar... open a CMD (search cmd in the search box if u not sure)

4) use the commands in the CMD...

C:
cd program files (x86)
cd ppcoin
cd daemon

to navigate to the folder in the CMD... it will be in this window that we run queries on the wallet once it is set-up correctly.

5) Now click the start menu in windows taskbar and search for: %appdata%

this will open ur "roaming" folder in a windows explorer and open the folder marked "ppcoin"

6) Now make a text file document in this folder and copy the following into the doc and save it as "PPCoin.conf" (you will need to take the .txt option off when saving it)

Example of config file here... http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=3.0
just be sure to change the lines:

rpcuser=INPUT_YOUR_USERNAME_HERE
rpcpassword=INPUT_YOUR_PASSWORD_HERE

7) Now run the program... C:\Program Files (x86)\PPCoin\daemon\ppcoind.exe (by double clicking the program from windows explorer)

8) Finally go back to your CMD and type:

ppcoind.exe help - tp see a list of ur commands
ppcoind.exe getinfo - to see the info on ur wallet

If u get the error message server could not be found... wait 30 sec and try the cmds again.. as the server takes a little time to load...and feel free to post any issues you have in here :)

NOTE: There is a miner built into the wallet that can be activated.. look in the "Solo Mining" section on the Forum to find out what to change in the config files.

Hope this helps :)

Now be sure to check out what PeerCoin websites there are out there, mining pools, exchanges and much more -
http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=4.0

FuzzyBear

All donations greatly appreciated:

BTC: 1FvMYwtkrQakoL8Zq1GjfKqTkm2a7TKt6N
LTC: LbMPUzwPRkWa5hCJGrEiRCeoYExY6Ujt1D
LQC: vbJVpeF82Ezd3Dx8ubWeiFeEguFwPctzJL
I0C: jU8MuSJcw7XmauyddGFSoo5HzEAPgjxfsz
IXC: xhUfkeNiVGaWFkEcuv8tTUGHX6PLt9dZ94

« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 01:48:51 pm by FuzzyBear »
PPC Escrow 1% fee

Offline razal

• Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 10:37:15 pm »
I only used steps 1-4 before receiving and sending ppcoins. Is that ok? What is the purpose of the other steps?

Thanks

Offline Mirai

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 11:20:06 pm »
The client says : "WARNING: Checkpoint is too old" - what does that mean? Thanks.

Offline FuzzyBear

• Forum Operator
  • Administrator
  • No life but Peercoin!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 01:07:53 am »
Just means the blockchain has not finished updating to the latest block, once it is downloaded then the message will dissappear
PPC Escrow 1% fee

Offline Mirai

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 02:53:41 am »
Thanks. What about "minting suspended due to locked wallet"? Is there a way to keep encrypted wallet but circumvent that? (I'm running the QT Win client)

What's a good way to unlock the wallet so I can get the PoS coins with the QT client? I encrypted it after buying PPC
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 06:55:43 am by Mirai »

Offline drawingthesun

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 07:10:55 pm »
Thanks. What about "minting suspended due to locked wallet"? Is there a way to keep encrypted wallet but circumvent that? (I'm running the QT Win client)

What's a good way to unlock the wallet so I can get the PoS coins with the QT client? I encrypted it after buying PPC

I want to know how to unlock wallet just for proof of stake minting, without allowing funds transfer.

Offline SilverandBitcoins

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 01:05:36 pm »
I only used steps 1-4 before receiving and sending ppcoins. Is that ok? What is the purpose of the other steps?

Thanks

I'm interested in hearing the answer to razal's question.

Offline mom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 03:51:48 pm »

I want to know how to unlock wallet just for proof of stake minting, without allowing funds transfer.

Likewise.  Heck, I can't even unlock it now, period.  All I can do is change my encryption password, and I can't change it to something empty.

EDIT: Help here - not trivially easy, but something
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=187714.msg1950655#msg1950655
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 04:10:59 pm by mom »

Offline Guido

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 12:53:21 am »

think we all want to know answer to this???

Sunny or fuzzybear please?

even how to unlock, there is no option, only to enter pass when sending coins

Offline FuzzyBear

• Forum Operator
  • Administrator
  • No life but Peercoin!!
    • View Profile
PPC Escrow 1% fee

Offline SilverandBitcoins

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 04:27:31 am »
I clicked on "encrypt" and created a password for my Ppcoin wallet.  I did not notice any difference - I shut down the application and re-started it - still no noticeable difference.  I expected that I would have to enter my password each time I opened the wallet, but that is not the case.  I did notice that there is no longer an option to "encrypt" the wallet and there is also a message now at the bottom of the wallet window that says: "Info: Minting suspended due to locked wallet.".  What on earth is going on?  Can I still send and receive coins?

Offline FuzzyBear

• Forum Operator
  • Administrator
  • No life but Peercoin!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 11:38:26 pm »
I clicked on "encrypt" and created a password for my Ppcoin wallet.  I did not notice any difference - I shut down the application and re-started it - still no noticeable difference.  I expected that I would have to enter my password each time I opened the wallet, but that is not the case.  I did notice that there is no longer an option to "encrypt" the wallet and there is also a message now at the bottom of the wallet window that says: "Info: Minting suspended due to locked wallet.".  What on earth is going on?  Can I still send and receive coins?

No this all sounds normal, u can view the wallet, receive coins and update the blockchain download, but in order to create an address or send any coins you will need to enter your passphrase.

And yes the locked wallet will not be active for minting you will need to unlock this.. there was a thread discussing how to do this... i'll see if I can dig it out for you.
PPC Escrow 1% fee

Offline Chaton

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 04:23:06 pm »

Hi. I was hoping ppcoin might be a good coin to get involved with early, so I decided to try and download the ppc windows exe

but my anti-virus detects  'General Behavioral Detection' and tells me that it is infected.

Perhaps you folks can work on this, so that I can download the ppc wallet in the future, but for now, I am going to not do it.

Please let me know if you can fix this problem. I was able to download the bitcoin wallet, without my antivirus finding anything. Thanks

Offline Chaton

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 04:26:49 pm »

By the way, it was the IDENTITY PROTECTION part of the antivirus software that detected the behavioral problems. thought I would let you know

Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

Peercoin.net Official Peercoin Website