3/28/2014 UPDATE: Now using mikaelh's HP12 miner. Thanks mikaelh!
Below I've written a step-by-step guide along with my personal tips. Please use my referral link below. Donations are welcome!
(XPM: AbPbhpodUx4DDPpgrYUCuGrTVehqiVxHes | LTC: LSRn1M1kp7cukPnn9K6UcckVP5Mi3FA7PZ | BTC: 1CGz2zaJeJ1Bg5ttVtzNbNuR13ThchPHyk)
1) Visit DigitalOcean
and sign up for a new account.
2) Try any of these promo codes for a free $10 credit: http://www.retailmenot.com/s/digitalocean
(note: you must enter it along with your credit card on the billing tab)
3) Create a 512GB / 1 CPU Ubuntu 12.10 x64 Desktop. (This is the best value for mining purposes. $0.007 per hour up to $5 per month and I preferred the Desktop just because I hate not having GUIs though there may be a slight performance decrease.)
4) You will be emailed the password for your "Droplet". Use it to login via "console access"
5) Download Primecoin. http://sourceforge.net/projects/primecoin-hp/files/0.1.2-hp12/primecoin-0.1.2-hp12.tar.bz2/download
apt-get install build-essential libssl-dev libboost-all-dev libdb5.3++-dev -y
apt-get install libgmp-dev
tar jxf primecoin-0.1.2-hp12.tar.bz2
dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=64M count=16
make -f makefile.unix USE_UPNP=-
gen=1" > ~/.primecoin/primecoin.conf
sudo mv primecoind /usr/local/bin/.
6) Setup primecoind to load on startup: applications menu->settings->settings manager->session and startup->application autostart->add
7) Create a script on desktop to run watch your mining progress (This makes it easier as once you login you just have to double-click one icon to check on your mining stats)
right click on desktop->create launcher->
watch 'primecoind listtransactions | grep "amount\|category" & primecoind getmininginfo'
Now your first "Droplet" is all set.
9) To make more "Droplets" you can save time by cloning your first "Droplet" by saving it as an image and reusing it in "Create". (note: this maybe a security risk because then all your Droplets will have the same wallet)
10) New accounts are limited to 5 "Droplets" however you can send in a support ticket to request your limit be increased.
11) To access your newly mined Primecoins
on VPS terminal:
primecoind listtransactions # to find your receiving addresses
primecoind dumpprivkey $receiving_address
on main wallet:
primecoind importprivkey $privkey_from_vps
Happy mining! Let me know if you have any questions or your own suggestions/improvements.
Signed: Kenny Tan