So I got an email back from the guy who owns Peercoin.org. Here is his response...
I understand your position; however, a simple donation is out of
question. I'm part of a group of professional domain investors and
unfortunately we don't do charity.
That said, I'm sympathetic to your cause and would be willing to work
out a solution to your problem. I agree that PPCoin or PeePeeCoin isn't
a serious brand and will hamper your chances of broader recognition, and
the same is valid if you pick some weird domain extension such as .ME.
Therefore I give you the following options:
- Negotiate and buy the domain (Bitcoin accepted);
- Securely lease the name through Epik.com with a purchase option;
- Trade for a premium .com Cryptocurrency related name if you have one;
- Exchange the domain for some programming work (I'd have to think
- Freely use the name for the lifetime of your project in exchange for
some (Bitcoin related) advertising space in your website.
What do you say?
I asked him how much he would charge for it and here was his second response.
I don't have a set price, this is open to discussion. However if you
want a parameter, I have sold quite a few Crypto-currency related names
in the $5-$25k range, including some names that are popular sites today.
I understand you're doing this on a budget and for non-commercial
purpose, thus I'd be more inclined to charge on the lower end.
Personally, I think Peercoin.net is good enough and as long as nox is ok with it, we get it for free. Why waste a bunch of money like this?