Edit: Saturday 4th May 2013
Very good guide written here http://cryptocurrencynews.wordpress.com/2013/04/19/getting-started-with-ppcoin/
[size=16pt]Windows - [/size] http://sourceforge.net/projects/ppcoin/files/
[size=16pt]Linux - [/size] http://sourceforge.net/projects/ppcoin/files/
[size=16pt]Mac OSX - v0.3.0 test builds (Jeff Larkin)[/size]
PPcoin-Qt.dmg (10.9 MB)
MD5 (PPcoin-Qt.dmg) = 295a2a0f6d1dc845bc9dbd029c48e0d0
ppcoind.zip (2.0 MB)
MD5 (ppcoind.zip) = a886c561352abbb273982e93c8df0356
(Warning of unsigned executables is normal)
[size=16pt]Source Code - [/size] https://github.com/ppcoin/ppcoin
Current Latest version of PPCoin is 0.3, latest release notes here:
February 18, 2013, 11:07:21 PM
Official release build is now available http://www.peercoin.net/ (via sourceforge)
[size=12pt][b]What's in 0.3.0 release:[/b][/size]
Stake generation protocol upgrade (protocol switch March 20th)
Qt UI support
Fix compatibility with vanitygen (note: private keys dumped in v0.2 is no longer importable into v0.3.0, must dump again from v0.3.0 client)
Miscellaneous bug fixes and improvements
The protocol upgrade in 0.3.0 includes a new algorithm to derive proof-of-stake hash modifier, the entity that scrambles computation for stake owners, which replaces the current proof-of-stake difficulty used as modifier in 0.2 protocol. The design was started late September last year, when I first began to realize the issues with using difficulty as modifier. Honorary mention also goes to Jutarul, who independently discovered and verified an issue with using difficulty as modifier and published on bitcointalk in December last year, while successfully executed a demo attack on the block chain. Other changes in the protocol include starting hash weight from 0 at the 30-day mininum age, and requirement that coinstake timestamp must equal block timestamp. Overall 0.3 protocol should significantly strengthen the proof-of-stake protection and resolve the current known vulnerabilities.
Upgrade is required before Wednesday March 20th. Nodes that have not upgraded before this deadline will disconnect from the main ppcoin network (hard fork).
1) Before upgrade, you must first backup your wallet:
2) Note down your balance/stake/newmint amounts. Shutdown ppcoin
3) Inside your wallet directory, remove all files and subdirectories except for leaving wallet.dat and ppcoin.conf in place.
4) Download 0.3.0 and unpack/install.
5) Start up ppcoind/ppcoin-qt normally.
6) Use getinfo/about to confirm your ppcoind/ppcoin-qt version is now 'v0.3.0ppc-beta'
7) You should see block chain is being downloaded again. Please note during redownload of block chain your balance will be shown initially as 0 and change as block chain is being downloaded. This is expected. When block chain download completes your balance/stake/newmint should return to the same value before the upgrade.
My sincere appreciation to co-contributors of 0.3.0 release:
Robert VanHazinga of Hartland PC (dreamwatcher) for the vanitygen compatibility fix
Jutarul for demonstrating stake generation vulnerability
EskimoBob for reporting issue fixed in 0.3.0
Cheers and have fun!